There are certain trends that seem to come and go in the world of photography. Then, there are the trends that are not trendy at all. Instead, they are photography methods that are always popular and always essential for the professional photographer to know. This second category is where black and white photography would fall.
Whether you are photographing dramatic portraits (whether people or animals) or interesting landscapes, black and white photography is always in style. However, you cannot just snap a picture and expect it to look good in black and white. Instead, you need to take special considerations. Here are five easy tips on taking the best black and white photography possible.
- Be prepared to use the RAW setting on your camera. When you choose to shoot black and white photography, you need to have more power over the images during postproduction. Black and white is expected to be dramatic and a great deal of that drama comes from contrast. You need to be able to control the image even after it is taken.
- When it comes to portrait photography, know your audience. Black and white portraiture tends to be more modern in style. You will need to make sure the customers you try to sell to actually like the modern look in their images.
- Make the best use of light. In order to get the best black and white images, the lighting must be right. Try experimenting with spotlights for dramatic shadows.
- Take a cue from the pros of the past. Ansel Adams may be one of the most well-known black and white landscape and portrait photographers. One of the best ways to get ideas and to learn what makes the best image is to study what he and other professionals have produced.
- Keep things simple. If you are taking black and white portrait photography, choose a basic black or white background and then suggest the customers choose to wear simple, solid color clothing. The less busy the image is, the cleaner and more dramatic it will look.
Chances are, black and white photography is never going out of style. However, it does take a certain amount of consideration in order to get the best black and white images. Whether you are shooting a family portrait or a mountain scene, make sure you set up the image correctly for the best black and white shot.